This soup is perfect after you've indulged in a lot of rich, heavy foods. Doing a weeklong detox during chilly weather isn’t the best idea. However, this soup can give your digestive system a quick break. It doesn’t contain oils, salt, or grains, making it very easy to digest. A salt-less soup can take some getting used to. If you really need it, add a bit of salt.
Seasonal Detox Soup [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 6 cups (1.4 liters) water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated, fresh ginger
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 small red cabbage (about 8 ounces), chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 small head broccoli (cut into florets, it should equal roughly 2 cups)
- 4 radishes, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon grated, fresh turmeric (alternatively use 1/4 teaspoon dried turmeric)
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds ground (alternatively use 1/8 teaspoon dried cardamom)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Fresh lemon juice
- Heat the water in a large pot over high heat. Add all of the ingredients except for the lemon juice. Let the vegetables cook for 5 minutes, so they retain their crunch. If you want your vegetables to be more tender, increase the cook time anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. If you cook your vegetables longer, you may need to add more water while cooking.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add as much lemon juice as you like before serving.
Credit from Awesome Vegan Soups by Vanessa Croessmann, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017 Photo credit: Vanessa Croessmann