This recipe is something I kind of just made up as I went along. This is not something I usually do, I will usually think about what it is a want to make, then list all the ingredients I want to use etc. and work out the best way to make the meal. But with these pancakes it was different somehow, more creative, and it felt wonderful. I knew I wanted pancakes, but nothing sweet and I just kind of went from there with whatever I happened to have in the cupboard. The result was an absolutely delicious meal you could have for any time of day.
Savory Pancake Stack With Pine Nut Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup Chickpea Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4-5 cups of sliced vegetables of choice (I used portobello mushrooms, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, red onion and loads of baby leave spinach)
- 1/4 cup Pine nuts
- 1/4 cup Oil-packed Artichokes
- Juice of 1 small Lime
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- Handful of basil leaves (optional but recommended)
- Salt to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes while you prepare the veggies and pine nut cream (recipe below).
- To cook the pancakes, heat up a skillet to a medium heat and pour in some of the pancake batter to make a pancake approximately 6 inches across. Cook until the top starts to dry out and the bottom is browned (a couple of minutes) then flip and cook the other side until golden. If the pancake starts to burn before the top has dried turn the heat down a bit.
- Repeat this until all the batter is used up and you have a nice stack of pancakes. This recipe should make about 9 thin pancakes.
- Add a little olive oil to the skillet or a wok, turn up the heat and quickly fry your veggies. Stir and cook for just a minute or two so they stay crunchy.
- Lay one pancake on a bed of baby leaf spinach and add a spoonful of veggies. Add another pancake on this, then veggies again. Top with a third pancake and smother with Pine Nut Cream
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and place in the fridge while you prepare and cook the pancake stack.
- Grain-Free Flour