Instead of butter or earth balance, these cookies are made using coconut oil and coconut milk, making them chewy and simply delightful. They're simple, sweet, and chocolatey. So take some deep breaths, and eat a cookie or two, slowly and mindfully.
Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies [Vegan]
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 cups chopped dark chocolate
- Sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir and set aside.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl, whisk the coconut oil, sugars, and vanilla extract. Add the coconut milk and applesauce and whisk until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until combined into a batter. Stir in 1 3/4 cup of the chopped chocolate.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon-sized cookies, about an inch apart, on the prepared sheet pan. Press remaining chocolate pieces onto the top of each cookie. Set the pan of cookies in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Bake chilled cookies for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are golden.