Salt and Pepper Tofu is a fabulous gluten-free, vegan starter or side. Great to share and just wonderful to eat.
Salt and Pepper Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons whole Sichuan peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons sea salt flakes
- 6 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- Vegetable oil
- Coriander for garnishing
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or other gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch sugar
- Cut the firm tofu into bite size pieces and place on paper towels or a tea towel to drain and dry
- Place a heavy bottomed frying pan on a low to medium heat and add the whole Sichuan peppercorns. Toast until they are lightly colored and you can smell them. Place the whole Sichuan peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or small blender and grind to a powder, add the sea salt flakes and grind a little more. The result is Sichuan peppercorn salt
- Add the vegetable oil to the heavy bottomed frying pan – just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat the oil on a medium heat
- Place the cornflour on a large flat plate add two teaspoons of the Sichuan peppercorn salt, ground black pepper and chilli powder (if using) and mix well. Toss the piece of tofu in the cornflour mixture and add to the hot pan. Fry until the tofu is golden and crisp on both sides
- Drain the cooked tofu on kitchen paper and sprinkle with a little more Sichuan peppercorn salt
- To make the dipping sauce mix the lime juice, tamari, sugar and sesame oil in a small cup and decant in to a suitable dipping bowl.
- Serve the tofu sprinkled with coriander and thinly sliced red chilli with the dipping sauce on the side.