Simple food doesn't have to be boring and this recipe is proof. Tender sweet potatoes are stuffed with oven-roasted broccoli and then topped with a creamy "cheese" sauce that you won't believe is dairy-free.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Broccoli With Cheesy Sauce [Vegan]
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Cheesy Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried parsley
- 1/2 hot red pepper, finely chopped (optional)
To Roast the Sweet Potato and Broccoli:
- Preheat oven to 380°F.
- Stab the sweet potatoes with a fork a few times on each side.
- Rub a bit of olive oil over the potatoes to coat. Season with a salt.
- Massage some olive oil over the broccoli florets and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the sweet potato on a baking tray lined with tinfoil for 40 minutes. After 25 minutes, add the broccoli florets.
To Make the Cheesy Sauce:
- In medium sauce pan melt the vegan butter over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter is melted add in the flour and whisk to combine. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Add the non-dairy milk and nutritional yeast to whisk to combine. Add the rest of the ingredients and turn the heat to low.
- You can add more non-dairy milk to get a thinner consistency or add more flour to thicken it. Remove from heat when ready to serve.
- Once the roasted vegetables are done, slice the sweet potatoes in half and stuff with the broccoli. Top each sweet potato with the cream sauce.