Easy weeknight dinner alert! These flavor-packed roasted red pepper chickpea burgers are so simple to make. Mashed chickpeas are combined with oat flour, chia seeds, roasted red peppers, fresh parsley, and warm, earthy parsley. These crisp burgers are perfect on buns or served on a bed of grains with roasted vegetables and fresh greens.
Roasted Red Pepper Chickpea Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2/3 cup chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon ground chia seeds plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 large roasted red pepper, patted dry and minced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the first 8 ingredients until a coarse mixture forms. The chickpeas should be broken into bits about the size of quinoa grains. If necessary, do this in batches.
- Transfer the mixture into a large bowl.
- Put the chia seeds in a coffee grinder and grind until they look like freshly gound black pepper. Pour them into a small bowl and add 3 tbsp water. Stir, then set aside. It should become gelatinous in about 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including the chia egg, to the chickpea mixture. Stir well to combine, then use your hands to form four patties.
- Transfer the patties onto the parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes per side. When finished, they should be crispy on the outside but still moist in the middle.
- Serve topped with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and any of your favorite burger condiments. If using buns, try spreading them with a thin layer of pesto before placing the burgers inside.