This plate is full of plant-based deliciousness. Roasting or baking the radishes totally changes the taste – the become soft and luscious like potatoes as most of their bitter/spicy flavor is cooked out of them. Combined with the garlicky chickpeas, roasted asparagus, almond cheese, brown rice and avocado you'll have a filling, vibrant bowl of goodness.
Roasted Radishes and Asparagus With Garlicky Chickpeas and Almond Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chickpeas:
- 1/3 cup dry chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 1 cube bouillon
For the Radishes and Asparagus:
- 10-12 fresh radishes
- 10 asparagus spears
- 2 green onions
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cumin, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
For the Almond Cheese:
- 1 cup raw blanched almonds, soaked in water overnight or for about 15 minutes in warm water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Half an avocado as a topping on your plate (optional)
To Make the Chickpeas:
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in water (they should be covered well).
- Rinse them the next day and cook the chickpeas. On the stove, this will take about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add the garlic cloves and bay leaves to the water while the chickpeas are cooking.
To Make the Rice:
- Meanwhile, rinse the brown rice and cook in twice the amount of water.
- Add the bouillon cube to the water while it cooks.
To Make the Asparagus and Radishes:
- Wash the radishes (trim the tops and stems first), green onions, and asparagus.
- Cut the radishes into slices and cut the asparagus in half.
- Cut the green onions into little pieces.
- Add all of the vegetables, with the coconut oil and spices, to a pan and fry them for about 7 minutes on medium heat.
- You can roast the radishes separately in the oven, but you can also toss them in the pan together with the asparagus and green onion. If you use the oven: put the radishes, with about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, in the oven. Roast them at 450°F for about 10-12 minutes.
- Take them out when the white have browned a little.
To Make the Almond Cheese:
- For the almond cheese, you'll need to soak the almonds. Drain and rinse the almonds, then place in a food processor and process for about 4 minutes, until a paste has formed.
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and process this for 2-3 minutes longer into a smooth cream.
- While the machine is still running, add the coconut oil, and process shortly to blend.
- Scoop the almond cream into a little bowl, set this aside in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Place everything on a plate and serve the dish with half an avocado.