A creamy vegan risotto accompanied by deliciously seasonal veggies and anti-oxidant rich roasted mushrooms.
Roasted Mushroom Quinoa Risotto With Baby Beets [Vegan]
- 2 cups baby bella or shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and reserved
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt + a few pinches extra
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (3/4 cup dry + 1 1/2 cups water)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 4 green onions
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoon tamari
- 3 large kale leaves
- 1 bunch baby beets, green tops removed and reserved
- 1. Remove mushroom stems and bring to a boil in 2 cups water with 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp salt. Reduce to a simmer and cook for ~30 minutes. If you're cooking your quinoa (as opposed to having it prepared in advance), put it on to boil now. Bring to a boil in 1 1/2 cups water, reduce to simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes until water is absorbed.
- 2. While stock and quinoa boil, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 3. Slice your mushrooms and place on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil. Bake for ~30 minutes until slightly shriveled.
- 4. Wash and prep your veggies. Remove beet tops, wash and slice into 1/2" ribbons.
- 5. Heat coconut oil in medium pot over medium heat. Add green onions and sautee 3 minutes until aromatic.
- 6. Add beet tops and sautee another minute.
- 7. Add quinoa, tamari, sherry and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine then reduce heat to medium-low.
- 8. Add 1/2 cup mushroom broth (straining out mushroom stems). Stir. Allow these to cook together for 2 minutes, or until broth is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup of broth every 2 minutes or so, until quinoa reaches a slightly creamy consistency. Remove from heat and cover.
- 9. While quinoa cooks, heat remaining coconut oil in another skillet and sautee kale ~4 minutes. When kale is nearly crispy, add beets to half the pan and cook. Remove from heat when kale slightly browns on the edges and beets are slightly softened.
- 10. Remove mushrooms from the oven and slice thinly.
- 11. Serve quinoa risotto topped with mushrooms, with kale and baby beets on the side.