Get out of your veggie burger rut with this fragrant and flavorful patty! A roasted garlic and yam burger that is baked instead of fried, studded with salty almonds, and laced with fragrant strands of roasted garlic. Wedged in a sourdough bun with curried vegan mayo or tahini sauce and a bit of Sriracha, this burger is deliciously unique.
Roasted Garlic and Yam Burgers [Vegan]
For the Patties:
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1/2 of 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1/2-1 cup tamari almonds, chopped
- Hamburger buns of your choice
- A few kale or spinach leaves
- Raw onion wedges
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- Tahini sauce (optional)
- Sriracha (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange whole yams and garlic (with the top part cut off and the garlic cloves exposed) on an aluminum-covered baking sheet. Drizzle garlic with a bit of olive oil (not the yams). Bake for an hour, removing the garlic after 20 minutes. Let rest until it's cool enough to handle.
- Into a big mixing bowl, squeeze out the garlic (do not be afraid to really get in there with your fingers). Cut yams in half, scoop out their flesh and add to the garlic.
- Mince an onion finely, and add to bowl with yams and garlic. Season with cumin, salt, and lemon. Try to form patties, they should easily stick together. If they don't, add flour until they do, one tablespoon at a time. If mixture is too dry, add a bit more lemon juice.
- Chop tamari almonds into small pieces, but not crushed into powder. Pour into a shallow plate.
- Form patties out of the yam mixture, and roll each patty in the crushed almonds. You may have to pat them a bit with your hands to ensure the nuts really get in there.
- When ready to prepare burgers, preheat oven to 375°F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and drizzle with about a tablespoon of oil, spreading it evenly. Arrange burgers on baking sheet, and bake at 375°F for 8 minutes on one side, and then 5-8 minutes on the other. Remove from oven and let cool a bit before eating.
- Serve in your favorite bun with mayonnaise or tahini and other desired toppings.