The roasted sweet carrots and caramel-y red onions paired with crunchy sweet corn in this seasonal veggie salad is phenomenal. Corn kernels function as a healthier, cheaper substitute for the sweetness of dried fruits and the crunchiness of the nuts in salads. The charred scallion cilantro pesto is a sweet and vinegary sauce that is most commonly served with fresh seafood, but we think it tastes oh-so much better on this vegan salad.
Roasted Carrot Salad With Charred Scallion Cilantro Pesto [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Salad:
- 6 large carrots
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 can corn kernels
- Optional garnishes: cilantro, soy yogurt, fresh coriander
For the Charred Scallion-Cilantro Pesto:
- 2 cups cilantro (or your favorite herb)
- 1 cup scallion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut carrots into 3-4 equal pieces. Slice each pieces lengthwise into 3-4 thin wedges.
- Slice onions thinly. Peel the garlic and separate into individual cloves.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Toss your carrots, onions, and garlic with salt and pepper. Spread out on the tray in a single layer (if they are too close or overlapping, the vegetables will steam).
- Roast for 20 minutes until soft.
- For the sauce: In a dry pan, add your finely sliced scallions. Toast and fry until blistered and charred. Blend all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Toast your roasted vegetables with the prepared pesto. Top with fresh cilantro, soy yogurt, and toasted almonds.