Let’s call these fall tacos – seasonal butternut squash, freshly picked apples and a little spicy chipotle-lime dressing to kick it up a notch. I dare you not to be blissfully content after eating these. So satisfying and simple to whip up on a weeknight.
Roasted Butternut Squash Tacos With Crisp Apple and Chipotle-Lime Drizzle [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (add 1 tablespoon, then slowly add more to desired taste and consistency)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large butternut squash or 2 small/medium
- 2 red peppers
All the Rest:
- 1 can, black beans, drained and mashed (or refried beans), optional
- 2 crisp seasonal apples, diced
- Cilantro, to top
- 12 soft white corn tortillas, charred
- Olive oil
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Peel the butternut squash and chop into cubes.
- Chop the red pepper into wedges suitable for a taco.
- Combine red pepper and butternut squash in a bowl.
- Toss with a tablespoon or two of olive oil to coat. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast for about 20 minutes until tender and starting to brown, giving them a toss about halfway through the cooking time.
- While the veggies are roasting, whip up the chipotle-lime dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together until smooth. You can add salt to taste and more chipotle sauce to taste. Set aside.
- Warm the black beans or refried beans in a small pot on low on the stovetop. Smashing the black beans a bit and add a little lime juice and olive oil to loosen them.
- Dice the apples. Set aside.
- Char each side of the tortillas on the open flame of your gas stovetop, if possible. Each side takes about 45 seconds – get a nice char on each side. Wrap them in foil or a tea towel to keep warm as you go. The other option is to pan fry them on the stovetop. Tortillas always need to be served warm!
- When everything is ready, assemble tacos. Beans, veggies, apple, chipotle drizzle and cilantro.