This is a wonderful tart that boasts the decadence of chocolate and peanut butter while still being super healthy. (Oh, and the secret to the meringue topping? Aquafaba, of course – what else?)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart With Vanilla Meringue [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2/4 plus 1/4 cup maple syrup, separated
- 4 tablespoons cacao butter, melted
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 cup cacao paste*
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons honey cap mushroom powder
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3/4 cup finely ground coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Chocolate shavings
- To make the crust, mix the nut butter, oat flour, 2/4 cup of maple syrup and melted cacao butter using a food processor.
- Blend away until a dough is formed. Press the dough into a tart or pie plate and put into the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- While the crust is setting, mix the coconut cream, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, cacao paste, cacao powder and mushroom powder over low heat. Add more maple syrup depending on preference.
- Once the filling has been thoroughly mixed together, allow it to cool for a few moments off the heat before pouring into the crust.
- Allow the whole thing to set in the freezer for 30 minutes or in the fridge overnight.
- Drain the chickpea liquid into the bowl of a stand mixer and reserve the chickpeas for a different recipe.
- Add the coconut sugar, vanilla paste and cream of tartar to the stand mixer, beat on medium until the mixture begins to froth.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Scoop the meringue into a piping bag, or spoon over individual slices of the tart once ready to serve.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.
*If you can’t find cacao paste, that’s totally fine – sub it with one cup of cacao powder and 1/2 cup of either cacao butter or coconut oil.