This is a wonderful tart that boasts the decadence of chocolate and peanut butter while still being super healthy. (Oh, and the secret to the meringue topping? Aquafaba, of course – what else?)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart With Vanilla Meringue [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart With Vanilla Meringue [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2/4 plus 1/4 cup maple syrup, separated
- 4 tablespoons cacao butter, melted
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 cup cacao paste*
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons honey cap mushroom powder
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3/4 cup finely ground coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Chocolate shavings
How to Prepare Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart With Vanilla Meringue [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- To make the crust, mix the nut butter, oat flour, 2/4 cup of maple syrup and melted cacao butter using a food processor.
- Blend away until a dough is formed. Press the dough into a tart or pie plate and put into the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- While the crust is setting, mix the coconut cream, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, cacao paste, cacao powder and mushroom powder over low heat. Add more maple syrup depending on preference.
- Once the filling has been thoroughly mixed together, allow it to cool for a few moments off the heat before pouring into the crust.
- Allow the whole thing to set in the freezer for 30 minutes or in the fridge overnight.
- Drain the chickpea liquid into the bowl of a stand mixer and reserve the chickpeas for a different recipe.
- Add the coconut sugar, vanilla paste and cream of tartar to the stand mixer, beat on medium until the mixture begins to froth.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Scoop the meringue into a piping bag, or spoon over individual slices of the tart once ready to serve.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.
*If you can’t find cacao paste, that’s totally fine – sub it with one cup of cacao powder and 1/2 cup of either cacao butter or coconut oil.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.