You can make your own vegan "refried" beans right on your stove top in a matter of minutes. This recipe is a great option for adding to burritos or tacos, dipping tortilla chips, or simply adding rice for a delicious, yet simple, rice and bean dish. The options are endless!
Refried Black Beans [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Refried Black Beans [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) low-sodium (or no-salt-added) black beans
How to Prepare Refried Black Beans [Vegan]
- Heat a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Once heated, add the olive oil, garlic, and onion. Saute until the onion begins to become somewhat translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Next, add the can of beans (do not drain the liquid). Using an avocado masher, or simply a fork, mash the beans to your desired consistency. Cook the beans until most of the liquid has become absorbed, about 3-5 minutes--but again, until your desired consistency.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.