You can make your own vegan "refried" beans right on your stove top in a matter of minutes. This recipe is a great option for adding to burritos or tacos, dipping tortilla chips, or simply adding rice for a delicious, yet simple, rice and bean dish. The options are endless!
Refried Black Beans [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) low-sodium (or no-salt-added) black beans
- Heat a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Once heated, add the olive oil, garlic, and onion. Saute until the onion begins to become somewhat translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Next, add the can of beans (do not drain the liquid). Using an avocado masher, or simply a fork, mash the beans to your desired consistency. Cook the beans until most of the liquid has become absorbed, about 3-5 minutes--but again, until your desired consistency.