These red velvet crinkle cookie sandwiches are an amazing treat. The cookies themselves are light and buttery with the perfect crinkle cookie effect enhanced by a dusting of powdered sugar. They can be colored naturally with beets and they're stuffed with a thick, sweet dairy-free cream cheese frosting that takes these cookies over the top.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookie Sandwiches [Vegan]
5-8 cookie sandwiches
For the Cookies:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus additional for the crinkle effect
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup beet powder or 2 tablespoons natural red dye
- 1/2 cup almond milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, beet powder (if using), and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl of your stand mixer, beat together powdered sugar, melted coconut oil, almond milk, natural red dye (if using), and vanilla until creamy. Add flour and continue to mix until combined. Dough will thicken as you stir.
- Roll 2 tablespoon-sized scoops of dough into balls. Roll in powdered sugar and place onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with fingers to 1/2-inch thick. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Do not over bake, as cookies won't turn golden brown. Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- When cookies have completely cooled, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl, whip butter for 2-3 minutes minimum until very fluffy. Add cream cheese and vanilla extract and mix well on low.
- Gradually mix in powdered sugar with a sifter until completely combined. Spread frosting in between cooled cookies. Store in airtight container.