These little patties are so simple to whip up, amazingly versatile, and almost fool-proof. They come together in no time, and you can change up the ingredients based on what you have in the fridge. They are great on top of a salad, as an appetizer with a nice dipping sauce, or make them slightly larger and serve on a bun as a tempting veggie burger. The possibilities are endless. To boot, they are extremely nutritious, filled with lentils and amaranth which are packed with plant protein, and both of which are great for metabolism and heart health.
Red Lentil and Amaranth Protein Patties With Spicy Avocado Mayo [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Red Lentil and Amaranth Protein Patties:
- 1/2 cup amaranth, (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium Russet potato, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons coarse cornmeal (or regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Spicy Avocado Mayo:
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- A good pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place 1-2 tablespoon of high heat oil (avocado, organic canola, grape seed) on a baking sheet and spread evenly.
- In a medium pot, place amaranth, lentils, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover pot, and reduce to a simmer. Let cook undisturbed for 10-15 minutes until water is absorbed and amaranth and lentils are cooked. It will be porridge-y, let it cool.
- While amaranth is cooking, grate the potato into a large mixing bowl. With your hands squeeze the shredded potato over sink to release excess water. Return to bowl and add chopped onion, garlic, and parsley. Add cooked amaranth/lentil mixture and mix well with your hands. Add mustard, ketchup, spices, cornmeal and rice flour. Mix well.
- Form into small patties, then place them on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- While cooking, make avocado mayo. Simply mash avocado in a small bowl with the back of a fork. Add rest of ingredients and stir well. Serve atop the patties, or on the side as a dipping sauce.