These vegan lentil patties are so simple to whip up, amazingly versatile, and almost fool-proof. They come together in no time, and you can change up the ingredients based on what you have in the fridge. Filled with lentils and amaranth, they are also extremely nutritious. Lentils and amaranth are packed with plant protein and are great for metabolism and heart health! These vegan lentil patties are a tasty way to get in the health benefits of both ingredients. They are great on top of a salad, as an appetizer with a nice dipping sauce, or make them slightly larger and serve on a bun as a tempting veggie burger. The possibilities are endless.
Red Lentil and Amaranth Protein Patties With Spicy Avocado Mayo [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Red Lentil and Amaranth Protein Patties With Spicy Avocado Mayo [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Red Lentil and Amaranth Protein Patties:
- 1/2 cup amaranth, (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium Russet potato, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons coarse cornmeal (or regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Spicy Avocado Mayo:
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- A good pinch of cayenne pepper
How to Prepare Red Lentil and Amaranth Protein Patties With Spicy Avocado Mayo [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place 1-2 tablespoons of high heat oil (avocado, organic canola, grape seed) on a baking sheet and spread evenly.
- In a medium pot, place amaranth, lentils, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover pot, and reduce to a simmer. Let cook undisturbed for 10-15 minutes until water is absorbed and amaranth and lentils are cooked. It will be porridge-y, let it cool.
- While amaranth is cooking, grate the potato into a large mixing bowl. With your hands squeeze the shredded potato over sink to release excess water. Return to bowl and add chopped onion, garlic, and parsley. Add cooked amaranth/lentil mixture and mix well with your hands. Add mustard, ketchup, spices, cornmeal and rice flour. Mix well.
- Form into small patties, then place them on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- While cooking, make avocado mayo. Simply mash avocado in a small bowl with the back of a fork. Add rest of ingredients and stir well. Serve atop the patties, or on the side as a dipping sauce.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1490 | Total Carbs: 199 g | Total Fat: 40 g | Total Protein: 50 g | Total Sodium: 150 g | Total Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.