These red beans are so yummy and can be paired with a variety of dishes or can be eaten by itself. They are that good and filling.
Red Beans [Vegan]
- 1 can of dark red kidney beans
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 small bell pepper cubed
- 1/2 cup of celery
- 1/2 cup of carrots
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 thai chili peppers
- Prepare all your vegetables ahead of time.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot on medium on the stove top. Add the oil. Add the sugar. The sugar has to caramelize.
- Once you see it start to bubble and turn dark brown add your can of beans. Be very careful as the oil will splatter. Stir in the beans so that it is well mixed in with the sugar.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients now.
- After your beans has been cooking for about 5 minutes add in 1/2 cup of water and try mashing the beans with the back of your spoon.
- Once your beans are tender and the water has thickened up turn off the stove. Leave a little gravy in your beans as once it cools down it will thinken up.
- Pour your beans over some fresh, hot basmati rice! Enjoy.