I developed a food sensitivity to avocados in my twenties. It was a sad day, as I was born in Texas and loved my mom’s “guac.” Even if you enjoy avocados, this dip is a refreshing adaptation of the original, perfect for spring when fresh-picked peas are at their peak. If you like more heat, use an entire minced Serrano chile.
Green Pea Guacamole [Vegan]
yields 3 cups and 24 chips
Ingredients You Need for Green Pea Guacamole [Vegan]
- 2 cups fresh shelled peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered (use a serrated knife for easier slicing)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small Serrano chile, split lengthwise, seeds and membrane removed, and minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional garnish: a tortilla chip, fresh cilantro sprigs, or a wedge of lime
- Accompaniment: purchased or Homemade Tortilla Chips (below)
- Canola oil
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 6 triangles
- Coarse sea salt
How to Prepare Green Pea Guacamole [Vegan]
- Steam the peas in a steamer over a small amount of boiling water in a loosely covered 4-quart saucepan for 18 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- In a food processor, puree the peas with the olive oil, lime juice, and nutritional yeast until smooth. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and gently fold in the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chile, and salt and pepper. Process until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Serve garnished as desired accompanied by chips.
- Heat a thin layer of canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until a drop of water sputters.
- Add the tortilla triangles and fry them for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown on one side; flip and repeat.
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain and lightly salt while still warm.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.