Here’s a little something for when you are feeling the urge to get messy in the kitchen. It’s a delightful coconut lime loaf (okay, who are we kidding – it’s a cake in loaf form!) with a delectable lime icing topped with our most favorite baking ingredient…..desiccated coconut! Moist and sweet, this is the perfect slice to have with a cup of tea mid-afternoon. Surely, the ultimate indulgent pick me up!
Coconut Lime Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Loaf:
- 2 cups organic gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup unrefined granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt (or rock salt)
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Juice 2 limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 measures of cointreau (optional) or sub with non-dairy milk or oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Juice 1/2 lime
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the tablespoon of flaxseed meal into a bowl and whisk with three tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the zest of two limes and the half cup of desiccated coconut and gently incorporate with a spatula.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the apple sauce, lime juice, vanilla extract, cointreau and oil. Whisk together until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Combine the almond milk, coconut milk and cider vinegar in another smaller bowl and set aside. It may curdle a little – that’s fine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add all the liquid ingredients including the flaxseed meal, which should have absorbed the water by this stage and become jelly like.
- Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet using a spatula using a light folding action. Be sure to not overwork the mixture. When a thick batter has formed transfer to a prepared loaf tin (simply grease a tin with a little vegan margarine) and place in oven to bake for 40 minutes.
- Whilst it is in the oven make the icing by placing the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually add the lime juice until a thick paste is formed. You may need to stir it again before pouring onto the loaf.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15-20 minutes before attempting to remove it from the tin. When it has sufficiently cooled, carefully remove and place on a cooling rack covered with baking parchment to cool further.
- After the loaf has completely cooled pour over the icing allowing it to spill down the sides. Finally, sprinkle over the desiccated coconut and leave to set for an hour or so before slicing.