We all remember the rush of excitement when you heard the first notes from the ice cream truck floating around the corner on a hot summer day – knowing that soon, you would be clutching a melty Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Bar in your grubby fist. You can relive your childhood with n)ice cream bars were inspired by those long lost childhood treats. The creamy strawberry and vanilla nice cream is coated with a crumbly shortcake shell and the stuck on a stick – just like the ice cream man served them back in the day.
Raw Strawberry Shortcake Nice Cream Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Shortcake Crumble:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 large pitted Medjool date
- A tiny pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Nice Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1-2 large dates
- 2 cups strawberries (use fresh or thawed frozen berries)
- To start your ice cream, rinse and drain the cashews well.
- Add them to a blender along with almond milk and date(s). Blend the ingredients until they're very smooth. Scoop out most of the cream into a jar or glass container and set it aside, leave about a 1/4-1/3 cup of the cashew cream in the blender (just eyeball it). Add the 2 cups of strawberries to the little bit of cashew cream and blend the mixture, on high, adding a little more cream if needed. The cashew cream will keep the strawberry layer from becoming too icy.
- Layer the vanilla cashew cream and strawberry blend in popsicle moulds or small paper cups. You should be able to layer them up without freezing each layer separately. You can layer the vanilla and strawberry or scoop some of both in each and then swirl them together with a popsicle stick. When you’re finished, add popsicle sticks and place them in the freezer to harden. It should make about 8 small bars.
- While the pops freeze, make the shortcake crumble. Process all crumble ingredients in a food process until a course crumb is formed. Spread out the crumbs on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and pop it in the freezer.
- Remove the bars from the freezer and allow to thaw a bit, until the surface of the popsicles are soft. Take out your crumble and coat each bar. Store in freezer.