Okay people...get out the walnuts, the almonds, and the rest of these ingredients NOW. You have got to make this festive dessert as soon as possible. It's just too good to miss out on! You will love it, your friends and family will love it, regardless of if they are vegan or not. This cake has the perfect gingerbread spice, combined with a rich, tangy cream cheese frosting. This recipe is a breeze to make, so even if you get surprise guests this holiday season, there is no need to worry...just skip the soaking steps!
Raw Gingerbread Cake With Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting [Vegan]
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dates, pitted, soaked for 10 minutes or longer
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 cup cashews, soaked two+ hours
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 TBSP xylitol
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- lemon zest, dried cranberries, cacao nibs, etc. to garnish
- In a food processor, process almond until roughly chopped.
- Add walnuts, dates, raisins, salt, gingerbread spice, lemon zest, coconut sugar, and water. Pulse until mixture just starts to ball up. This took me about 5 minutes of pulsing and scraping the processor down, pulsing and scraping the processor down, etc. If you over-process, too much oil will release and the mix will be too sticky. You want the nuts to still be visible- not a puree.
- When correct texture is reached, press into an 8 inch round pan. I used a parchment-lined springform for easy removal.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend all of the topping ingredients until smooth.
- Spread over nut mixture and garnish with lemon zest, and any other desired topping such as dried cranberries, cacao nibs, pomegranate seeds, etc.