Here is a cinnamon roll you can feel great about—an excellent clean and tasty bite-sized snack that delivers on all the essential needs for any athlete. The combination of raw agave and sun-dried figs will provide you with the sustainable, balanced release of energy for best performance—without a spike and crash. We like to use these rolls as a midride/-run/-hike fuel source. It’s always great to reach into the back pocket of your jersey or backpack and refuel with a tasty snack!Reprinted with permission from Plant Powered Athlete by Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Nikki Lefler
Raw Cinnamon Rolls [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1/2 cup (84 g) flaxseeds
- 1 cup (145 g) almonds or (100 g) pecans
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raw agave nectar
For the Filling:
- 1 cup (150 g) dried figs, stemmed and diced (about 10 figs)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (13 g) chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Prepare the dough: In a coffee or spice grinder, grind the flaxseeds to a fine powder. Transfer to a food processor and blend with the almonds until a flour-like consistency is formed.
- Add the agave and process into a workable dough, adding a touch of water, if needed. Remove the dough and place between 2 large sheets of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten into a large square. Peel off the top layer of paper and set the dough aside.
- Prepare the filling: In a clean food processor, puree the figs, water, cinnamon, cardamom and salt into a thick paste. Spread the mixture evenly over your dough and sprinkle with raisins and chopped nuts, if desired.
- Next, roll the dough into a tight cylinder, as if you were making sushi, using the parchment paper as the mat. Place your roll in the freezer to set for about half an hour, then remove and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Store the rolls in a glass container in the freezer. They will keep for up to 2 weeks.
When selecting an agave nectar, look for one that is both raw and organic.