This light, tropical raw cake is the perfect base for a dessert canape. Or, pair it with a light tropical sorbet.
Raw Carrot Spice Cake [Vegan]
- 1 cup dates
- 2 cups carrots, freshly shredded
- 1 1/2 cups dried apple, minced by hand or in a food processor
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews or pecans, ground into a fine meal
- 1 1/2 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup rum, apple juice or water
- Place the dates in a small bowl. Add the rum or juice and allow to soak for approximately 1 hour or until very soft. When soft, finely mince the dates.
- Place the minced dates in a medium mixing bowl. Add the carrots, apple, nuts, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and gently, but thoroughly combine. When done, the mixture should form a ball, but not be too wet. If the mixture is too wet, add a bit more shredded coconut or ground cashews.
- Transfer the date mixture to an 8-inch springform pan, pressing and molding the dough to form it neatly into the pan. Note that smaller, individual-sized spring form pans would also work.
- To finish, evenly frost the carrot cake with vegan vanilla frosting. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill thoroughly before serving. Cut into slices for service.