These raw cupcakes are a burst of fresh, citrusy goodness that is perfect for spring! The "cupcake" is made from sweet, sticky dates, orange, warm spices, coconut, and carrot and they're topped with whipped coconut cream.
Raw Carrot-Orange Cupcakes With Coconut Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- 10 dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts
For the Cupcake:
- 1/2 cup dates (soaked for 2 hours)
- 1 whole orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons grated coconut
- 2 carrots
For the Coconut Cream:
- 1 13.50ounce full-fat coconut milk, chilled in refrigerator overnight
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To Make the Base:
- Combine dates and walnuts in a food processor until sticky and crumbly. Press into prepared silicone cupcake moulds (this will make unmoulding easier), then place in the freezer.
To Make the Cupcake:
- Zest the orange for the topping, then peel it. Add all ingredients, except carrots, to a food processor and blend until uniform.
- Transfer to a bowl and then grate the carrots. Mix to combine, then set aside for 15 minutes.
- Remove moulds from the base and top with the carrot filling, the place in the freezer for 2 hours.
To Make the Coconut Cream:
- Just before 2 hours have passed, make the coconut cream. Open the can, pour out the water (save for smoothies), and scoop the cream into the bowl of a food processor. Whip until creamy, adding sweetener and vanilla while the machine is running.
- Carefully remove the cupcakes from their moulds, then decorate with a dollop of coconut cream and orange zest.