Upon tasting these delicious, fudgy brownies you would never expect the main ingredient to be sweet potatoes – but it's true! Sweet potatoes are great for providing rich and decadent texture to savory dishes as well as sweet ones like these brownies. Raw cacao powder, nut butter, and agave go a long way to make these brownies taste just like the traditional kind, and the raspberries and macadamia nuts add a fresh twist.
Raspberry Macadamia Brownies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch rounds
- 1 cup Medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1 cup almond or hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 1 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- A handful of frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup macadamias, roughly chopped
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and preheat oven to 356°F. Place sweet potato in a large steamer for 20 minutes, or until very soft, remove from steamer and place in high-powered food processor along with dates. Process on high until completely combined and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from food processor and add almond meal, cacao, flour, nut butter, and raw sweetener. Stir well to combine. You can do this in the food processor, however don’t overwork the mixture, or it becomes a bit gluey and pasty.
- Throw in the raspberries and macadamias in last and give them a little mix into the batter to just combine.
- Add mixture to baking tray and smooth out the surface. Place in oven and bake for 20–25 minutes. When cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares.