Raspados Mexicanos are the answer to sweeten up your day and cool you down. This version of shaved ice features fluffy ice topped with fresh, juicy mangoes and other tasty garnishes like chamoy and tamarind.
Raspados Mexicanos [Vegan]
For the Drink:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cane sugar*
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cubed
- Ice cubes
- Chamoy candies
- Tamarind candies
For the Prep:
- First, add water and sugar to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and allow sugar to dissolve.
- In the meantime, peel and cube the mangoes into small pieces. Add them to the pot and bring to a simmer again for 10 minutes, or until the mangoes are soft.
- Once softened, roughly mash the mangoes with a potato masher and let the mixture reduce into a syrup-like consistency, about another 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a few hours before serving.
- Add 1-2 cups of ice cubes to a blender and mix until the ice is crushed (like shaved ice). Transfer ice to a cup and pack it in.
- Add about a 1/2 cup of fruit mixture overtop the ice. Enjoy as-is or drizzle with chamoy and garnish with tamarind or chamoy candies.
- Happy eating!