Step outside of the box with this unique dish! This is a simple salad that pairs the slight bitterness of the radicchio and the sweetness of roasted carrots with a bright shallot-based vinaigrette. It's vibrant, fresh, and a beautiful pop of color on any table.
Roasted Radicchio and Carrot Salad With Shallot Vinaigrette [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 small radicchio
- 15-18 heirloom carrots
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Extra virgin olive oil, to cook
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 shallot
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Top and tail the carrots, and halve lengthwise. Toss the carrots in a bowl together with a generous drizzle of oil and a shake or two of salt and pepper. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes, until starting to crisp and brown.
- While the carrots are roasting, remove the core from the radicchio, wash, then roughly tear and chop the leaves.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by peeling and dicing the shallot and then adding the diced shallot along with the 1/4 cup of oil, the apple cider vinegar, and the thyme leaves to a small food processor or blender. Mix until combined, then taste and add a pinch of salt and pepper if you feel it needs it.
- When the carrots are ready, toss them together with the radicchio leaves. Add the vinaigrette and mix to combine. Top with the toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Serve immediately.