Sweet potatoes are always good, and the good news is you can stuff them with pretty much anything and it’s a winner dinner. For this particular dish, cook up some quinoa, mix in some cranberries, drizzle some avocado cream, add a dollop of pea pesto, and sprinkle some pomegranate seeds over top for a perfect touch of sweetness. You can serve over a bed of arugula or you can simply add a few leaves. Yum and done.
Quinoa and Pea Pesto Stuffed Sweet Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- Pomegranate seeds
- Pea pesto (see below)
- Avocado cream (see below)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Pea Pesto:
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoon basil, freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese (see below)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
For the Avocado Cream:
- 1 1/2 avocados
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch salt
For the Vegan Parmesan Cheese:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, drizzle with olive oil, and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, flesh side facing down. Bake for 20-30 minutes until soft. In the meantime make your fillings.
- Cook your quinoa according to package directions.
- Make your vegan parmesan cheese by blending all ingredients until you achieve a parmesan cheese-like texture. Pour into a glass container and store in the refrigerator.
- In your blender or food processor, add all the pesto ingredients and blend until smooth and well combined
- Rinse out your food processor/blender and add the avocado, almond milk, salt and blend until smooth. Keep it covered to keep it from browning prior to serving.
- Add the cranberries into the quinoa and stir to mix in.
- When the sweet potatoes are done cooking, let them cool slightly, then fluff the flesh with a fork. Add the quinoa, cranberries, pesto, drizzle with avocado cream, and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. You can either serve over a bed of arugula or just add a few leaves over top.