Is there ever a bad time for vegan quesadillas? They're cheesy, flavorful, and so comforting! While they usually aren't considered the healthiest food, these vegan quesadillas have veggies in every bite. Plus, you can make vegan cheese out of nuts, potatoes, and even zucchini! It takes just six ingredients to make a satisfying lunch or dinner! Make this vegan quesadilla on your grill for extra fun vibes. It's the perfect healthy, no-fuss summer meal packed with plant-based protein and fiber! Yum!
Grilled Mexican Quesadilla With Lentils [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup salsa, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (see notes)
- Olive oil spray
- 8 extra-large white corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 1/3 cups vegan paprika cheese or vegan cheese of choice (5 ounces)
- Vegan sour cream, (for serving, optional)
- Guacamole (for serving, optional)
- Rinse the lentils and stir together the water and lentils in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and add to a food processor.
- Add 1/4 cup of the salsa and salt into the food processor and pulse until combined and smooth, but leaving some lentils intact for texture.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Spray one side of each tortilla with the olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt. Place 4 tortillas, un-sprayed side up, onto a baking pan. Spread a lightly heaping 1/4 cup of the lentil puree all over the tortilla, covering it completely.
- Then, spread 1 tablespoon of salsa on each of the tortillas. After that, divide the cilantro and, finally, the cheese between each tortilla. Cover with the remaining tortillas, so the sprayed side is facing up towards you.Gently slide the tortillas on the grill, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Gently flip and cook and additional 3-4 minutes. If some of your topping come out after flipping, just gently press them in.
- Slice and devour immediately with extra salsa, guacamole, and sour cream if you choose!
Make sure you don't add the salt into the lentils while they are cooking, as this makes lentils tough.