Corn tortillas (tortilla in Spanish means “small torta”, or “small cake”) are a type of thin flatbread made from finely ground wheat flour (Masa Harina) - which is gluten free! This special type of flour is made from cooked corn kernels that are soaked in lime before they are ground into flour. This loosens the hulls from the kernels and softens the corn. In addition, the lime reacts with the corn so that the nutrient niacin can be assimilated by the digestive tract. Fill with your favorite ingredients and you will see happy faces around the table guaranteed.
Corn Tortillas (With Masa Harina) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Corn Tortillas (With Masa Harina) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/4 cups of warm water
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 2 pieces of round plastic cut out from a bag
How to Prepare Corn Tortillas (With Masa Harina) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Use a wooden bowl to combine the masa harina and water. Mix well until the water is absorbed evenly and the dough forms a ball.
- We are looking for a soft dough consistency; it should not stick to your hands. If it does, add a little more masa harina. If it looks dry, breakable or crumbly, add more water.
- Preheat a griddle or heavy skillet on medium flame. This has to be ready when you start pressing the tortillas.
- Using a tortilla press or a heavy dish, place a ball of the dough between the two plastic pieces and press to form a flat 10-12 cm round tortilla.
- Open the tortilla press or remove the heavy dish (if using to press the tortillas), peel the top plastic off.
- Place the tortilla on the griddle and cook for 45 seconds. The edge will begin to dry out. Turn over and continue to cook for 1 minute until brown patches form. The cooking time is about 2 minutes total. Cook until the tortilla begins to puff. Tap lightly with your fingertips to allow even puffing.
- Fill with your favorite ingredients and serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 890 | Total Carbs: 186 g | Total Fat: 8 g | Total Protein: 24 g | Total Sodium: 0 g | Total Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.