An improvement on your ordinary, run-of-the-mill pumpkin bread! This recipe for the seasonal treat incorporates whole wheat flour and grated zucchini for added nutrients and moisture. Sprinkle in chocolate chips for the perfect amount of sweetness that makes this bread an indulgent breakfast or a delicious dessert.
Pumpkin Chocolate Zucchini Bread [Vegan]
- 1 cup white, unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 15-ounce can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegan egg powder combined with 2/3 cup almond milk (can use applesauce)
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strained, grated zucchini
- Chocolate chips, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F, with the rack in the center. Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with 2 sheets parchment paper, 1 running the length and 1 running the width, both cut to fit. This will make it extremely easy to lift the pumpkin bread out of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Grate the zucchini and strain the water through a cheese cloth. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin purée, maple syrup, vegan eggs, vanilla extract, strained zucchini, and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the parchment-lined loaf pan. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then lift it out of the pan using the parchment paper and cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
- Wrap bread in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for 3 days.