Hemp seed is naturally rich in omega 3 and 6, is a COMPLETE source of protein, which is music to any vegan's ears, and is more easily digestible than other protein sources. This makes it an ideal way to start the day! Serve these crepes with your favorite toppings. Here, I've sliced the other half of the banana and arranged that on top, with a generous sprinkling of hemp seeds, a dollop of cold coconut cream and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Breakfast? Dessert? You decide!
Protein-Packed Hemp Crepes [Vegan]
- 1 cup plain flour (or gluten-free flour of your choice)
- 1.5 cups hemp milk
- 2 tbsp shelled hemp seeds (and extra for garnish)
- 1 tbsp hemp oil
- 1/2 banana (mashed)
- 1/2 banana (sliced, to garnish)
- pure maple syrup (optional)
- coconut whipped cream (optional)
- Mix the flour, hemp milk, hemp seeds, hemp oil and mashed banana in a large bowl until the batter is smooth and lump-free.
- These crepes are quite delicate so extra care and attention is needed to get them right. Make sure your frying/skillet pan is always lightly oiled to stop the crepes from sticking, or use a non-stick pan if possible. You will also need to keep an eye on the heat and make sure the pan never gets too hot. When this happens, take it off the heat for a couple of minutes between each crepe to cool down slightly. Don't worry if the first crepe turns out looking like its been run over by a truck and thrown against a concrete wall...this is normal...the first attempt is usually the worst one, and then it gets better!
- Ladle some of the batter into the pan, swirling it round to coat the bottom and form a nice round shape (use the back of a spoon to spread it out more thinly, if necessary). Wait a few minutes for the top to start bubbling and until the crepe lifts easily around the edges. Flip it over and cook the other side until lightly browned.
- Cook the rest of the crepes in this way until your batter runs out, remembering to keep an eye on the heat.