This is a hearty, flavorful, and colorful soup all at the same time! Basically, everything you could ever want in a soup, right? Totally. You've gotta try it!
Potato Leek Soup With Caramelized Tri-Color Carrots [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Potato Leek Soup With Caramelized Tri-Color Carrots [Vegan]
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 shallot – minced
- 4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large leek, washed, cut into quarters, and thinly sliced
- 2 vegetable bouillon cube (salt-free)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry white wine (I used a Sauvignon Blanc)
- 4-5 tri-color carrots (of course you can use regular carrots), thinly sliced
- 2 large yellow potatoes (about 3 cups), cut into bite-size chunks
- 5 cups filtered water plus 1/4 cup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 spring fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
How to Prepare Potato Leek Soup With Caramelized Tri-Color Carrots [Vegan]
- Add the onion and shallot to a 5 1/2 quart pot and add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté on medium-low until the onions are fairly soft, about five minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until the garlic just becomes lightly golden.
- While onions are cooking, wash the leek really well, as there is always dirt on the inside.
- When the garlic is lightly golden, add the bouillon cubes and wine then mash the bouillon and reduce to a syrup, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the leeks to the onions when the wine is reduced and continue sautéing until the leek is soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the carrots. Set aside.
- Dice the potatoes and put in a bowl of water. Set aside.
- Add the water, thyme, tarragon, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper to the leek and onion mix. You will need to make a bouquet garni by tying the herbs together with a piece of kitchen twine or putting them in a small cloth spice bag. (Or, just leave the rosemary out if you don’t want to chew on rosemary leaves.) Continue to simmer on medium-low heat.
- In a separate sauté pan add carrots, 2 tablespoons of wine, 2 tablespoons of water, a dash of olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper. Sauté on medium heat covered until they are soft and the liquid reduces. It can happen fast, so make sure to check on them (about five minutes). Add a tablespoon olive oil to deglaze. Set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the soup (5 1/2 quart pot ). Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until the potatoes are very soft (about 40 minutes) then remove the bouquet garni.
- Puree half the soup in a food processor, pour back into the pot, and add the carrots. Cook for a couple of minutes to reheat the carrots.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.