Even if you are a novice baker, this simple recipe for chewy pretzels is definitely one you want to have in your repertoire. If you don't like poppy seeds, you can flavor or top your pretzels with almost anything you want! The pretzel possibilities are endless.
Poppy Seed Pretzels [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Aquafaba (chickpea brine) for brushing
- Poppy seeds for coating
- Combine yeast, sugar and half a cup of warm water in a small bowl. Stir until sugar and yeast has dissolved and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add flours and salt. Stir to combine and then add in olive oil.
- When yeast mixture is foamy, add into flour mixture along with remaining warm water. Using your hands, mix until a soft dough has formed.
- Knead for 5-6 minutes and then place in a floured bowl in a warm area to rise.
- After one hour, knead the dough again and then roll into long pieces and shape into pretzels.
- Set on a tray to rise.
- When pretzels have risen again, bring a pot of water to boil. One by one, place each pretzel into the water and remove when it floats back up to the top.
- Set on a tray, brush with aquafaba and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 400°F for 20-25 minutes, or until pretzels are golden and soft.
- Cool on a rack and enjoy!
Boiling the pretzels helps achieve the chewy outside characteristic of pretzels. You don’t have to do this, but failing to do so will make them more bread like than pretzel like.
- Poppy Seed