You can't go wrong with strawberries and rhubarb and this sauce makes it easy to put the winning combination on almost anything. The sweetness from the strawberries perfectly complements the tart rhubarb and makes this sauce ideal to top anything from oatmeal to ice cream.
Poached Strawberry Rhubarb Reduction Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tablespoons diced rhubarb, soaked overnight
- 2-4 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Sweetener, to taste
- Add your diced rhubarb and strawberries to a saucepan and cover them with just enough water to cover the fruit (If you did not pre-soak the rhubarb, leave out the strawberries and give the rhubarb a 5-minute head start).
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and adjust it until it sits comfortably at a low simmer. It should not be a boil. Add the lemon juice. If you're using it, added the sweetener next.
- Stir the mixture occasionally. This will take 10-15 minutes.
- Check the rhubarb. If it’s tender, you’ve successfully poached. Otherwise, give it another couple minutes.
- Use a straining spoon to scoop out the strawberries and rhubarb and set them aside in a small bowl.
- Leave the remaining liquid in the saucepan. Make sure the heat is still at a simmer. At this point, you will want to keep a constant eye on the soon-to-be sauce. Stir it every 30-60 seconds so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- When the liquid has reduced to about half its size (it should be a beautiful deep crimson color, but not a dark sticky goo), immediately take it off the burner.
- Add the poached strawberries and rhubarb on top of your dish and then pour the sauce over the top. Serve immediately.