This is a little, humble, purple pie of joy. It's gluten-free, vegan, and sure to impress any guests you have over. This pie can be big enough to share with a cool friend or small enough to have all for yourself (no judgements here). Take advantage of the produce that's in season near you and make pies, make pastries, make beautiful creations with the earth's beautiful creations (see what happened there?)! Start with this gorgeous plum blueberry pie.
Plum Blueberry Pie With Cardamom and Lime [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Plum Blueberry Pie With Cardamom and Lime [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten free baking flour or standard all-purpose wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon psyllium husk (omit if not making gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar
- Small pinch of salt (omit if your butter is salted)
- 5 1/2 tablespoons cold vegan butter, cut into cubes/chunks
- 3 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed
For the Filling:
- 1 sliced plum
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour (or corn starch or tapioca starch)
- Zest and juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaposon vanilla
How to Prepare Plum Blueberry Pie With Cardamom and Lime [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- To make the crust, Mix together the flour, psyllium, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until the butter bits become smaller and the mixture looks like coarse sand. Place the bowl with this mixture in the freezer for 5-10 minutes (you want the butter cold!).
- Remove the bowl from the freezer, then add the ice water. Using a wooden spoon or spatula (not your warm hands!), incorporate the water into the flour and butter mix until a rough dough starts to come together.
- At this point, dump the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and knead it a few times to form it into a cohesive ball of dough. Flatten the ball into a disc, wrap it in the plastic, then let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, preheat your oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone sheet. Add all of the ingredients for the filling to a bowl, then toss everything together until the fruit looks evenly coated in the arrowroot. Set this mixture aside while you wait for the dough to rest.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the fridge. Gently flour your work surface, then unwrap the disc of dough and place it on the prepped surface. Roll the dough out into a rough circle until it’s about an 1/8-inch thick or approximately 10 to 12 inches in diameter.
- Transfer the dough carefully to the prepared baking sheet. Give the filling mixture another stir, then spoon it into the center of the dough leaving at least an inch and a half border of dough surrounding it. Fold up the border of dough up onto the fruit a section at a time until there is none remaining.5-7 folds usually does the trick.
- Sprinkle the exposed crust with sugar if you like, then put the pie in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden and firm and the filling is bubbling. Cool at least 20 minutes before eating. Makes one small 6-inch pie or four small servings.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.