These pistachio orange scones are crispy around the edges, buttery and flaky inside. They're free from gluten, grains, dairy, and refined sugar, and can be made vegan as well. They're chunky with loads of pistachios and a delicious orange zing in every bite.
Pistachio Orange Scones [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pistachio Orange Scones [Vegan]
- 1 and 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil scoopable, not liquid or frozen
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 orange zested (~1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt omit if using salted pistachios
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
How to Prepare Pistachio Orange Scones [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking dish with parchment paper. If using flax egg, prepare it first by mixing 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to gel and thicken.
- Add the first 4 ingredients into a large bowl and mix really well with a pastry cutter, spatula, or your hands. Push to the side, then crack in the egg and whisk. If making it egg-free, add the prepared flax egg.
- Add the milk, orange zest, baking powder, and salt (if using), and stir to combine. Mix in the pistachios.
- Form the dough into a circle, about 1" high, and place on the lined baking dish. Cut into 8 pieces and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden around the edges and on top.
- Melt dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. Drizzle over the scones and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.