The broccoli meshes in well with the protein-rich pistachios. It creates a creamy, nutty sauce rich with plant-based nutrients!
Pistachio and Broccoli Pesto Spaghetti [Vegan]
- 8-ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 10-ounces shelled unsalted pistachios
- 2 cups broccoli chopped into small pieces
- 2 cloves raw garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh mandarin orange juice (about 1 to 2 oranges)
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Water as needed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- A few grape tomatoes chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon crushed pistachios
- To make the pesto, add the pistachios, broccoli, garlic, salt, mandarin orange juice, and olive oil in a blender. Pulse a few times to get the ingredients moving. Gradually blend to a smooth paste adding in up to 1/4 cup water.
- Place water in a large cooking pot. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring the water to boil Once it is boiling. Add the whole wheat spaghetti and cook for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Toss the pesto into the hot pasta and mix well. Stir in the parsley and tomatoes (if using). Serve immediately topped with crushed pistachios.