This is a wonderful side dish to share at a family gathering, or even just to have for dinner! The fresh flavor of the green peas goes so with the buttery shallots, rich mushrooms, and peppery tarragon. So yum!
Peas With Shallots, Mushrooms, and Tarragon [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce package frozen peas
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 pound baby bella mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, white wine or water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. Add shallots and cook 3-5 minutes until softened and slightly translucent. Do not brown.
- Transfer shallots to a small bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are browned and have given off their liquid, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the shallot bowl.
- Return pan to heat and add frozen peas and broth (or whichever liquid you're using). Heat over medium high heat, until broth boils and peas are heated through. Remove peas from heat and stir in the shallots and mushrooms to combine. Add the tarragon and thyme, butter, and about 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more lemon zest if you like. Serve.