These deliciously easy muffins are packed with plant-based protein (in this case, pea protein). They are nut-free, soy-free and super simple to make. Enjoy these yummy muffins for breakfast, snack, side dish, or even as a super healthy dessert!
Pear Protein Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cup 100 percent pure pea protein powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup barley malt syrup
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/8 teaspoon ground vanilla bean (optional)
- 1/3 cup virgin sunflower oil
- 2 pears, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 muffin cups.
- Grind flax seeds and mix with 3 tablespoons water. Set aside until gelatinous.
- In a large bowl, mix spelt flour, pea protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a blender, add syrup, water, vanilla, and flax seed mixture.
- Blend until combined. Keep blender on low speed and slowly add in oil.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Mix in peeled diced pear.
- Fill muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack.