Although it is often thought of as an indulgent food (which it can be if you eat it with a spoon by the jar like me!), peanut butter provides an excellent source of plant-based protein, and is packed with nutrients such as vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, fiber, and healthy fats. It is important to stick to the natural kind with a minimal ingredient list (optimally just peanuts and salt) to really reap the benefits in the most nutritious way.
5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bites [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (can use other nut or seed butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp of water, only if necessary to blend
- Process medjool dates in a food processor until a sticky and creamy consistency is formed (may form a ball). Add in oats, peanut butter, and vanilla and process until well combined. If the dough is dry, you may add a few tablespoons of water to help everything stick together.
- Use your hands to form the dough into balls. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set. Enjoy!
Store these energy bites in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days!