Enjoy the fall flavors of maple pecan along with longtime fan favorite, peanut butter. This is a great breakfast treat when you have a big family, or the kids are having a sleepover, or you want to make a fun, casual breakfast. If you want to make a smaller batch, feel free. The dipping sauce is made with equal parts maple syrup and peanut butter, so adjust accordingly!
Peanut Butter French Toast Dippers With Maple Pecan Dipping Sauce [Vegan]
For the Peanut Butter French Toast:
- Day-old French baguettes
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 cup powdered peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- Oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, as garnish (optional)
For the Peanut Butter Maple Pecan Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, roasted or toasted
- To make the french toast, first cut the baguette on the bias into slices 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick.
- Mix together flour, powdered peanut butter, cinnamon, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix in milk and stir until well combined. The consistency should be that of a thin pancake batter.
- Add enough oil to equal 1/2-inch deep and preheat oil to 350°F.
- Line a platter or plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Dip slice of baguette into the batter and remove excess batter.
- Carefully add battered bread to the oil and fry until golden, flip and repeat with the other side. Carefully remove from pan and transfer to lined platter.
- Repeat with remaining slices until all batter is used.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of powdered sugar if desired.
- To make the dipping sauce, stir together maple syrup and peanut butter until well combined. Fold in pecans. (If you are using raw pecans, chop them, then lightly toast them in a dry pan. This process doesn’t take long, so be careful not to burn your nuts).
- Serve on a plate with a small dish for dipping. Alternatively, you can serve traditionally with the dipping sauce drizzled all over the top.