It’s peachy from all sides. Peachy inside. Peachy outside ... It's peach jalebi! Jalebi is a very popular and traditional Indian sweet dish, generally made on every Indian festival, celebration, or special occasion. It's like a funnel cake soaked in rich, sweet syrup. These swirly, juicy, crunchy, mouth-watering delicacies might seem a bit complicated to prepare, but they are super simple to make. Nothing complicated at all.
Peach Jalebi: Indian Funnel Cake [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Peach Jalebi: Indian Funnel Cake [Vegan]
For the Jalebi:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 orange food coloring (optional)
- Rapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil, for deep-frying
- 1/4 cup thick peach juice, or as needed
For the Peach Syrup:
- 1 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup peach juice
- 4-5 saffron strands
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- A pinch of orange food coloring (optional)
- Dried rose petals
- Vegan whipped cream
How To Make Peach Jalebi: Indian Funnel Cake [Vegan]
To Make the Peach Syrup:
- Add water to a pan. Now, add peach juice and sugar and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and boil until you see one string consistency.
- This would take about 15 minutes. Add saffron strands and cardamom.
- To check the consistency, take a drop of slightly cooled syrup between your index finger and thumb and press together. Slightly raise your finger. If the syrup pulls into a sticky thread, then the syrup is ready. Remove from heat.
To Make the Batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and baking powder. Add the yogurt and food coloring, then mix well. Now, add enough peach juice to make a thick, smooth batter. Batter should be easy to pour.
- Set a piping bag with a 4-milimeter nozzle and pour in the batter.
To Make the Jalebi:
- Heat oil in flat, shallow-bottomed pan. The oil should not be too hot.
- Pipe the batter in circles and cross the circle to ensure that the spiral stays together.
- Pipe around 3-4 jalebis at a time.
- Deep-fry the jalebis until golden brown and dip in the still-warm peach syrup. Allow the jalebis to soak the syrup for about 1 minute.
- Drain immediately and serve hot like that, or let them cool slightly.
- Top with whipped cream, peaches, rose petals, and pistachios.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile