This is a meat-free spin on coq au vin, or chicken in wine, a classic French dish in which chicken is braised in a red wine sauce with mushrooms, bacon, onions, and garlic. In this version, spiced potatoes take the place of meat and paprika adds a smoky flavor to replace the bacon, so the dish remains flavorful and comforting. Serve this hearty stew with sliced baguette and rice.
Patates au Vin: French Potatoes and Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Patates au Vin: French Potatoes and Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into thick wedges
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thick wedges
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup red dry wine
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Baguette, for serving
How to Prepare Patates au Vin: French Potatoes and Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce [Vegan]
- Season the potato wedges with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Heat olive oil in a deep pan on medium heat.
- Dredge the potato wedges in 1 tablespoon flour and fry until they turn golden on all sides. Use tongs to move them around in the pan to avoid breaking the potatoes.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan onto a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan and oil, add onions and garlic and stir to cook until the onions turn pink.
- Add carrots and mushrooms and continue to cook for a minute.
- Add thyme and some salt and stir. Add 1 teaspoon flour and cook for about 30-45 seconds.
- Add the potatoes back and stir until everything is coated well with the flour and thyme.
- Add wine and stir. Add the stock and stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for about 12-15 minutes. You want the sauce to thicken up and the vegetables to cook through.
- Taste to adjust seasoning. Serve over rice or with a french baguette.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 286 | Carbs: 38g | Fat: 14g | Protein: 7g | Sodium: 26mg | Sugar: 6gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.