Did you know that sunflower sprouts are also one of the most balanced forms of complete plant protein? They provide all of the essential amino acids our body needs to build and repair muscle tissue. They are also high in calcium and iron, just a small serving (1/4 cup) meets 8 percent of the daily value for iron and 2 percent of the daily value for calcium. Hooray! Also, the vegan walnut pesto is very simple to make and it doesn’t skip on flavor just because there is no cheese!
Spring Greens With Walnut Pesto and Sunflower Sprouts Over Pasta [Vegan]
- 1 12 oz package of pasta (I used brown rice veggie spirals)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 bok choy
- 1 medium leek
- handful of kale
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5-6 spears asparagus
- juice of half lemon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- handful sunflower sprouts
- salt and pepper
- handful basil
- handful parsley
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of half lemon
- Wash and cut the hard parts off of the asparagus (about an inch or so from the bottom). Using a peeler, shave off asparagus pieces (or you can also just cut into small pieces if you wish) and place into small ziploc bag with the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Massage the asparagus to make sure that the olive oil lemon mixture is spread evenly, and let sit in fridge for at least an hour.
- Cut broccoli into small florets and cut bok choy into 1 inch pieces. Heat a cup of water in a pot and use a steamer basket to steam broccoli and bok choy until they are slightly soft (but still maintain their crunch).
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
- Chop leek, tear the kale into small pieces, and mince the garlic. Heat the coconut oil in a pan on med heat and add the garlic, salt & pepper and sweat it for a couple of minutes. Add the leek and sautee for approx 5 min before adding the kale at the end. Sautee for another couple of minutes then remove from heat.
- Once pasta is cooked and drained, add the steamed sauteed veggies to the pot as well as the marinated asparagus and mix well.
- For the pesto, add all ingredients to a food processor and process until desired consistency.
- Serve pasta with pesto and sunflower sprouts as garnish.