Roasted potato salads generally make a great side dish for all sorts of meals. Veggie burgers, hot dogs, and patties all are nicely rounded out by a side of flavorful potato salad. This recipe brings the idea to the next level by adding some delicious Brazil nut Parmesan cheese.
Parmesan-Roasted Potato Salad [Vegan]
For the Potatoes:
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes, cut into half-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, 1 roasted and diced, 1 thinly sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Toasted walnuts, to taste
For the Toasted Walnut Caper Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut oil
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- A dash of pepper
To Make the Vinaigrette:
- Start by toasting the walnuts. If you are going to add some walnuts to your salad then toast more.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spread out the walnuts on a baking sheet.
- Toast walnuts until they start to brown and smell toasted, about 7-10 minutes.
- Make sure and check them frequently so they don’t burn. Let cool completely.
- In a food processor, add the walnuts and grind to a fine crumble. Add all the other ingredients and turn on until smooth.
To Make the Roasted Peppers:
- Roast the peppers on the stove top at medium high heat. A gas stove works the best but it will work fine on an electric stove.
- Char the peppers on all sides turning with a pair of tongs. When good and charred, steam them for 10 minutes in a covered dish, or a paper bag rolled shut to hold in the steam.
- Take a paper towel and rub off the char. It’s okay to leave a little of the char. Slice in half and remove the seeds and stems.
To Make the Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub a baking sheet with olive oil or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add the olive oil, vegan Parmesan cheese, garlic, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Mix well and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast on the middle rack for 30-35 minutes or until golden, turning once. Then turn the oven onto broil and place the baking sheet on top rack for 3–7 minutes, or until it becomes golden brown and crispy.
- Prep the vegetables while the potatoes are roasting.
- Toss the potatoes with the vinaigrette and top with the vegetables and chives. Add walnuts to individual salads.