Deliciously simple vegan and gluten-free lettuce wraps, made with tofu. They taste exactly like the PF Chang's version but they're made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. The firm tofu is lightly fried with tender mushrooms, crunchy carrots, and a bit of garlic and ginger before it's slathered in a tangy sauce and then served wrapped in fresh butter lettuce.
P.F. Chang’s Copycat Tofu Lettuce Wraps [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu:
- 1 8-ounce package extra-firm tofu
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like spicy)
- 4 green onions, sliced
To Make the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Butter lettuce, for wraps
- Slice tofu block into 4 pieces and place the pieces between two plates, press all of the moisture out of them using a heavy book for about 30 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu into a pan with some sesame oil and let cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook them for 3 more minutes.
- Add in carrots, garlic, ginger, and red pepper and cook everything for 15 more minutes, stirring it periodically.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ingredient for the sauce.
- In the last minute of cooking, pour sauce over tofu mixture and stir it to coat everything well.
- Serve the tofu warm, in crisp lettuce wraps, topped with sliced green onions.