Although these pickles are baked in the oven, you’ll swear they were dunked in the deep fryer. While I wouldn’t go so far as to claim these appetizers are beauty food, they certainly are a healthier option for your gathering than the traditional party fare. Plus, they’re vegan and can be made gluten-free, meaning everyone can enjoy. When I think of fun, novelty, party foods, fried pickles are probably in my top five favorites. If you love pickles like I do, then you will adore these crunchy spears. Serve them with a vegan ranch dipping sauce to really make them memorable!
Oven-Fried Pickles [Vegan]
12 pickle spears
- 4-5 large dill pickles, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup whole grain or gluten free breadcrumbs (I just toasted a couple slices of bread and processed them in the food processor until they were course crumbs)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons almond meal (I ground mine myself from raw almonds)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of fresh round black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, optional
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chickpea flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of nutritional yeast
- Dash of dried dill
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a cookie sheet.
- Combine crispy coating ingredients in a shallow bowl, drizzling the 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil over the combined items last. Whisk batter ingredients very well in a separate bowl.
- Pat pickle spears dry with a paper towel. One at a time, dredge the spears through the batter mixture, then roll them in the coating and place them on the greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then flip the spears and bake for another 4-5 minutes, until golden.
- Serve with store-bought or homemade vegan ranch dressing. Yum!