These samosas are great for cocktail parties and brunches, and guaranteed that both vegans and non-vegans will love these yummy pastries filled with vegetables and classic Indian flavors!
Oven-Baked Vegetable Samosas [Vegan]
- 4 rolled pastry sheets, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 14-ounces potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 9-ounces cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 5-ounces carrot, cut into small cubes
- 5-ounces green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 1/2-ounces fresh ginger grated
- 1 medium green chili, deseeded and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Half of a lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to glaze
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a mortar, crush caraway seeds into a fine powder.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add in potatoes and cook for 12 minutes or until tender, adding the cauliflower after 3 minutes and the green beans and carrots after 6 minutes. Drain the vegetables and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cumin and fry for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in turmeric, garlic, and chili and fry for another 2 minutes. Adding a few drops of water to release the spices from the bottom of the pan if necessary.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the frying pan and stir well to combine with the spice and onion mixture. Crush the vegetables gently wit ha potato masher but don't overdo it as you need to have small chunks of vegetables. Turn off heat.
- Ad the lemon juice to the mixture and season with salt and pepper. Finally, add the coriander leaves.
- Roll out pastry sheet onto baking paper on a clean working surface and cut the sheet into 6 equal squares.
- With a tablespoon, place the filling in the center of each. Brush the edges with water and seal the edges to form a triangle. Prick each pastry with a fork three times. Brush them with oil to achieve a golden glaze.
- Repeat the procedure with four other sheets, you'll end up with 24 samosas.
- Place 6 pastries on a large non-stick baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining pastries.
- Let them cool slightly and serve hot.