This orecchiette with capers and white wine is an easy weeknight meal that tastes like something from a restaurant. It’s modest — pasta, olive oil, capers, and a splash of white wine to boost the flavor. The sauce sticks generously to the pasta thanks to its distinct domed shape making every bite delightfully tasty. It goes splendidly well with a heaping of a quick-tossed salad/
Orecchiette With Capers and White Wine [Vegan]
- 12 ounces (3/4 pounds) dry orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons small capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook orecchiette according to package instructions in a large pot of salted water, stir the pot a few times to prevent pasta from sticking together.
- Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, heat olive oil and add onions and garlic, and cook over medium-high heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions are tender and fragrant.
- Add capers, crushed red pepper, salt, and rosemary and cook for another 2 -3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add wine and cook for another minute or so. Add pasta, along with the reserved pasta water and toss to combine.
- Lower heat and cook, stirring frequently until sauce thickens, about 1 -2 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley and butter. Remove from heat when butter has melted.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper.
Adapted from Food and Wine.