This is the perfect pasta recipe that works as a side dish or quick lunch recipe. Stuffed pearl onions with basil pesto and oven-roasted cherry tomatoes makes this dish extra special.
Orecchiete Pasta With Basil Pesto Stuffed Pearl Onions [Vegan]
- 2 cups pearl onions peeled
- 1/4 cup basil pesto for stuffing the pearl onions
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups Orecchiette pasta
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto for the pasta
- Water to cook the pasta. Save 1/4 cup before you drain the pasta.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make a cross cut on the onions, making sure that you keep them intact.
- Using a espresso spoon (or any tiny spoon) to stuff the onions with the basil pesto.
- When all the onions have been stuffed, add them to a bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and any remaining pesto from the 1/4 cup used to stuff the onions. Very gently mix the onions and tomatoes.
- Spread them out on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Roast them for 25 minutes.
- While they are roasting, cook the pasta, if not previously cooked. (About 2 cups of uncooked Orecchiette)
- Drain the pasta but save about a 1/4 cup of the water.
- When the onions and tomatoes have finished roasting, remove from the oven and let them cool to touch.
- Add them to the pasta and include any roasting juices in the baking tray.
- Add the saved water and 3 tablespoons of basil pesto.
- Mix well, but, be gentle when mixing.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe works great with really al-dente orecchiette pasta. You can get fancy with this pasta by adding lemon rinds during the roasting process. Try adding onions, red bell peppers, or zucchini.